First Aid Response Refresher Training
Anderlift Safety Services are now an Approved Training Institution (A.T.I.) with PHECC (Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council).
This recognition will enable us to offer clients both the First Aid Response and First Aid Response Refresher courses.
WHO ARE PHECC AND WHAT DO THEY DO?
PHECC are the Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council.
Pre-hospital emergency care is any clinical care or intervention that an acutely ill or injured person receives from trained personnel in the Pre-Hospital environment. This immediate care can make a huge difference to someone’s mortality or morbidity.
Emergency care can be given by someone within the community such as a GP, someone who has trained as a responder, or by registered practitioners.
The Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) is an independent statutory body who set the standards for education and training for pre-hospital emergency care in Ireland. The Council publish clinical practice guidelines (CPGs) and recognise institutions to provide pre-hospital emergency care training and education.
In addition to maintaining a statutory register of practitioners Council approve Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Service Providers to implement CPGs.
For further information on PHECC please visit the PHECC website.
The 2007 (General Application) Regulations specify that companies, based on risk assessment, need to have an adequate number of trained First Aid personnel available to deal with medical emergencies and injuries that may occur in the workplace.
The FAR course is the only First Aid course recognized by the Health & Safety Authority in Ireland.
This course trains students to provide effective life support intervention, diagnose and treat illness and injury and maintain maximum care of a casualty until the arrival of the emergency medical services.
This course will also include training on the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and the administration of Aspirin in the case of suspected heart attack.
Course Content will include:
- Patient Assessment
- Incident Procedures
- Cardiac First Response - CPR, AED, Choking, Stroke
- Medical Emergencies - Asthma, Diabetes, Seizures, Poisoning, Fainting
- Injury Management & Shock - Bleeding, Bone Injuries, Sprains, Strains/Dislocations, Shock.
- Dealing with Unconsciousness Casualty
- Burns -Electrical Injury Care
- Hypothermia & Hyperthermia
- Information Management
- Well-Being of the First Aid Responder
Who should attend?
- Anderlift Safety Services Ltd. have an open policy for any person over the age of 18 to attend our First Aid Response Refresher programme.
- The First Aid Response Refresher course is open to individuals with a valid First Aid Response certificate who are due for refresher training.
- This course is open to company personnel and to members of the public.
- A good understanding of English (both verbal and written) is necessary in order to successfully participate on
the programme and complete all necessary assessments.
- Reasonable accommodation will be made to facilitate persons with physical or learning difficulties.
- We will engage with Learners on an individual basis in advance of training / assessments to reach
agreement on accommodation required and options available for same.
Number of Participants:
Instructor student ratio is 1:8 for practical skills element of the course.
Length of Course:
Anderlift Safety Services Staff:
Anderlift Safety Services Instructor staff will be experienced in the “real life” provision of emergency care and will have the Instructional Skills required to effectively teach all learning elements of the course, both theoretical and practical.
Training Approach and Methodology:
Anderlift Safety Services will combine and balance the theoretical and practical skill requirements of the training to provide a highly interactive and enjoyable course.
The use of simulation and accident/incident type scenarios will enhance the learner experience and give participants the confidence and practice needed to achieve the learning outcomes and competencies specified in the PHECC standard.
Assessment of Participants:
The course involves continuous assessment. Participants will complete both theoretical and practical assessments, in the form of a multiple choice question paper and the undertaking of four skill assessments. A mark of 60% or greater is required to pass each of the elements of assessment.
Anderlift have an Appeals process in place as part of our Approved Training Institution status with PHECC (Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council).
Anderlift have a remediation process in place. Learners will be allowed to repeat an assessment in order to achieve a pass mark in both FAR skills and the MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions) paper in line with strict PHECC guidelines for remediation.
Support for Learners:
Anderlift staff will provide a high level of mentoring to course participants and will provide specific guidance in relation to the assessment process, in line with learner requirements.
Certification of Training:
PHECC certification is awarded to successful participants. The certification is valid for two years, at which point a two day refresher course will be required.
As per PHECC rules only participants with a valid certificate will be allowed to participate in the Refresher Training (a strict 90-day grace period is allowed from the actual expiry date on the certificate).
If participant certification is expired past the grace period, then the full 3 day course will need to be completed.
The following Quality Assurance Policies and Procedures are available on request.
- Governance and Management of Quality
- Documented Approach to Quality Assurance
- Programmes of Education and Training
- Staff Recruitment, Management & Development
- Teaching and Learning
- Assessment of Learners
- Support for Learners
- Information and Data Management
- Public Information and Communication
- Other parties involved in Education and Training
- Self-Evaluation, Monitoring and Review
We can run this course in-company for up to 8 people.
We also run monthly public courses for individuals wishing to complete this course in Cork. Please click here for dates
Call us on 021-4559180 for more information or send us a message via our Contact Form.